woensdag 13 juli 2016

Just a silly, simple salad



HEJ KIDS! Like I said in my last post (click): it's all about the fishfishfishfishfishfish and the summer induced cravings for fresh and pure food with a good zing. And here's a confession... I don't know why, but whenever I'm in this state of mind, I like to think that the food I'm dishing up is Scandinavian in some kinda way. Those that know me, know I'm a sucker for everything Scandinavian. So when we went to Denmark and Norway last summer on a camping trip I was in heaven.

I don't know what it is, but I feel as if those Scandinavians really know how to bring food back to its essence. Great example here is Mikkel Karstad. Please go visit his site (click); it's full of tasty, simple dishes with a minimum of ingredients. I'm so jealous of that guy - but also kinda thankful: he is such an inspiration. 

Now back to today's dish. I was in the kitchen, dancing away to the tones of Rhye, when I thought of this silly, simple salad. Which of course felt Scandinavian inspired to me in an instant.

Brace yourselves, here we go with one of the most simple dishes you'll probably ever make. Quick warning: it requires a tad more work than chopping some tomatoes and a cucumber.

What you need (gigantic portions for 2 regular people)
  • A bulb of fennel
  • 2 beetroots. I used the pre-cooked ones from the supermarket because A. they didn't have any non-cooked and B. ain't nothing wrong with pre-cooked beets
  • A green apple, Granny Smith preferably
  • 2 smoked mackerel fillets
  • 2 hands of rocket salad
  • 2 tbs Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbs grainy mustard (a recipe for that coming soon!)
  • Olive oil
  • Pepper
  • Salt
  • Lemon
  • A bunch of dill

What you do
  • Cut off parts of the fennel that stick out at the top (if you know what I mean). Don't  throw them.
  • Slice the fennel in fine... slices?
  • Do the same thing with the apple and the beetroots
  • Put the beetroot in a bowl, put the fennel and the apple on top
  • "Crumble" the mackerel fillets on top, i.e. tear them apart
  • Top of with the rocket salad, some dill and the discarded parts of the fennel
  • Mix the remaining ingredients to taste for the dressing
  • Drizzle the dressing on top once the salad has been plated. 
  • Bon'ap!
Promise me you'll try this, use this as a soundtrack (click) and enjoy!

What else could I put in this salad, any suggestions?

Love,
Julie

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten