vrijdag 29 juli 2016

Nothing wrong with a classic

OK OK the picture isn't the best but that doesn't say anything about the taste - OK?


Fashion fades, style remains the same. Not that at this moment I give one flying c*** about what my clothes look like (I am wearing a dress that I ripped last year when falling off my bike in Copenhagen. And it's also missing two buttons). But what I am talking about is salad. And not just any salad: a salad with a capital a S. A Caesar Salad. Yes.

I don't think there's a lot of dishes out there that are more classic than Caesar salad. However, a lot of people like mixing up the ingredients. I don't know whether the version I make has anything to do with the original in any way, shape or form. But to be honest I don't really care about that either - seems as if today I don't really care about anything (which is a good thing). I just combined the flavors I like into a salad I tend to like as well.

So let's gooo.

What you need for the salad (2 servings)

  • 1 double chicken breast or 2 single
  • 1 Romaine salad
  • 2 eggs
  • Bacon (to taste - of course: the more the better)
  • Croutons or if you want to be fancy: a bread roll
  • Butter
What you need for the dressing
  • 2 tbs yogurt. I used Turkish yogurt but Greek would definitely do as well. As would every type of yogurt you got in your fridge.
  • 2 tsp of mustard
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Lemon juice
  • 1 small clove of garlic
  • Some anchovies (to taste as well)
  • Olive oil
  • Pepper
  • Salt
What you do
  • Put salt and pepper on chicken breasts.
  • Heat a pan on medium to high(er) heat. Add some butter and add the chicken breasts. Turn on the heat a bit higher so the outside starts to look golden brown. Don't forget to turn.
  • Once the chicken looks all crispy and delicious from the outside, turn down the heat and let the chicken sit for about 12 min.
  • In the mean time boil your eggs as you like. If you like them soft, the perfect time is 6.5 min. If you want them hard boiled about 9 minutes should do. The latter is a guess - always. I prefer my eggs soft boiled. Once time is up cool them in ice cold water.
  • Also in the mean time: heat a grill pan on verrry high heat. 
  • Once the 12 min are over transfer the chicken to the grill pan. Grill on one side, grill on the other. Let it grill for about 5 min in total (which means 2,5 min on each side - like duh).
  • In the mean time put the bacon in the same pan as the one you fried the chicken in first. I love my bacon completely crispy so let it burrrn.
  • Chop up the Romaine salad.
  • If you prefer the fancy croutons: put some olive oil on top of the bread roll slices. Put them in the oven under the grill until they're crispy.
  • For the dressing: chop up the anchovies and the garlic. Mix all ingredients according to taste - that's that. I really love salty, meat-y, deep flavours so the more anchovies and worchestershire, the better.
  • Enjoy!
What salad should I try next? Maybe give the Waldorf a spin?

Love,
Julie

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten